Connect with us


International-News

Israel opens fire on diplomatic delegation in Jenin



📰 LiberoReporter su Google News
Segui tutte le notizie senza perderne una
SEGUI ORA →

Italian Foreign Minister Tajani summons the Israeli ambassador. Condemnations and requests for clarification from EU, Belgium and Arab countries

Israeli forces opened fire today, Wednesday 21 May, at a diplomatic delegation on an official visit to the Jenin refugee camp in the West Bank. Among those present was the Italian deputy consul in Jerusalem, Alessandro Tutino, who was fortunately unharmed. The episode provoked an immediate diplomatic reaction at the international level.

Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani personally contacted the Italian diplomat, who returned to the consulate without physical consequences, and arranged for the Israeli ambassador in Rome to be summoned to ask for an official explanation. ‘The threats against diplomats are unacceptable. We call on the government of Israel to immediately clarify what happened,’ Tajani said on X.

Belgium’s reaction was also harsh. Foreign Minister Maxime Prevot said he was ‘shocked’ by the incident, pointing out that among the twenty diplomats in the convoy – made up of clearly identifiable vehicles – was a Belgian colleague. ‘Belgium demands convincing explanations,’ he wrote.

The EU’s High Representative for Foreign Policy, Kaja Kallas, condemned the incident as ‘unacceptable’ and called on Israel ‘to investigate the incident and identify those responsible’. The diplomatic visit, according to official sources, had been previously agreed with the Israeli army.

Meanwhile, the conflict in the Gaza Strip continues to claim victims. In the last 24 hours, the Ministry of Health has recorded 82 dead and 262 wounded. Since the resumption of fighting last March, the total death toll has risen to 3,509 Palestinian victims and 9,909 wounded.

Palestinian National Authority President Mahmoud Abbas welcomed recent international statements against the Israeli embargo on Gaza. ‘We appreciate the joint statement of Britain, France and Canada and that of the European Union countries. All have rejected the policies of blockade, starvation, displacement and land seizure,’ he said in a note.

THE LATEST NEWS

MarĂ­a Corina Machado Plans Return to Venezuela With US Coordination

Opposition leader says her return is tied to a US-backed transition plan aimed at political change and reconstruction by 2026...
Read More
MarĂ­a Corina Machado Plans Return to Venezuela With US Coordination

Secret Service shoots man near White House after gunfire

21-year-old opened fire at checkpoint; bystander wounded, no agents injured A man was shot and killed by Secret Service agents...
Read More
Secret Service shoots man near White House after gunfire

Iran-trained suspect plotted to kill Ivanka Trump, US says

Arrested Iraqi national allegedly mapped her Florida home and tied threats to Soleimani killing An Iraqi national allegedly trained by...
Read More
Iran-trained suspect plotted to kill Ivanka Trump, US says

Trump Skips Son’s Bahamas Wedding Over White House Duties

The U.S. president says official responsibilities will keep him in Washington during Donald Trump Jr.’s weekend ceremony Trump declines to...
Read More
Trump Skips Son’s Bahamas Wedding Over White House Duties

U.S.-Iran Ceasefire Draft Framework Emerges in Pakistan-Mediated Talks, Report Says

A reported draft outline for a potential agreement between Iran and the United States includes an immediate and unconditional ceasefire,...
Read More
U.S.-Iran Ceasefire Draft Framework Emerges in Pakistan-Mediated Talks, Report Says

Trump says Iran strike was “one hour away” as U.S. sets deadline for talks

The U.S. president signals a narrow diplomatic window for Tehran while warning that a large-scale attack remains possible if negotiations...
Read More
Trump says Iran strike was “one hour away” as U.S. sets deadline for talks

(Photo: © AndKronos)