Maduro pleads not guilty in New York court after U.S. capture
First court appearance for the Venezuelan president following his arrest by U.S. authorities
“I am innocent, I am not guilty. I am an upright man.” Nicolás Maduro, the Venezuelan president captured by the United States, pleaded not guilty during his first court appearance in New York. Judge Alvin K. Hellerstein asked the defendant to state his identity.
Maduro identified himself as the president of Venezuela and said he had been “kidnapped.” According to The New York Times, he stood up and began speaking in Spanish, apparently attempting to make a spontaneous statement. The judge interrupted him, saying there would be “a time and a place,” and limited the exchange to formal identification.
Maduro’s wife, Cilia Flores, also pleaded “not guilty, totally innocent,” identifying herself as the First Lady of the Republic of Venezuela.
Maduro pleads not guilty to four charges: conspiracy to commit narco-terrorism, conspiracy to import cocaine, possession of machine guns and destructive devices, and conspiracy to possess machine guns and destructive devices.
The Venezuelan leader entered the courtroom wearing a T-shirt over an orange prison uniform, with his feet shackled. Both he and his wife used headphones to follow the proceedings through an interpreter. Maduro said he was seeing the indictment “for the first time” and declined the judge’s offer to have it read aloud, saying he preferred to read it himself.
Maduro and Flores requested a consular visit while in detention. Judge Hellerstein confirmed their right to do so and said arrangements would be made. Neither has requested bail at this stage, according to their attorneys.
During the hearing, one of Flores’ lawyers said she has serious bruising to her ribs and requires medical care while being held at the Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn. The origin of the injuries remains unclear, according to NBC News.
The hearing lasted approximately 30 minutes. The next court appearance has been scheduled for March 17 at 11 a.m.
THE LATEST NEWS
(Photo: © AndKronos)
-
International-News13 ore agoMystery surrounds the disappearance of Sarah Ferguson
-
News21 ore agoAddio al piccolo Domenico, è morto il bimbo trapiantato con un cuore danneggiato
-
In Evidenza15 ore agoSi valuta la rimozione di Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor dalla linea di successione
-
Flash14 ore agoApprofitta di una 29enne ubriaca e la violenta, fermato 57enne ad Alzano Lombardo


